In order to provide a safe environment for all our participants, who utilize the YMCA facilities, the following facility use guidelines have been developed. We greatly appreciate the cooperation of all our members in creating a safe atmosphere at the YMCA. We reserve the right to enforce all YMCA policies. Failure to adhere to any and all of these may result in loss of membership privileges. Please ask your friendly membership staff if you have any questions!
Using the principles of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility as a guide, we implement the following Code of Conduct to ensure all who participate in the Y enjoy a safe, welcoming and comfortable environment. We ask individuals to behave in a matter that upholds these principles at all times when they are in our facility or participating in our programs. Specifically, actions that do not adhere to these guidelines and are not permitted include:
- Wearing inappropriate attire, including swimsuits and workout attire; clothing with vulgar/profane writing or language is not allowed
- Using angry or vulgar language including swearing, name-calling or shouting
- Making physical contact with a person in any angry or threatening manner
- Engaging in sexual activity or contact with another person
- Harassing or intimidating by words, gestures, body language or other menacing behavior
- Stealing or destruction of property
- Carrying or concealing any weapons, devices or objects which may be used as a weapon
- Smoking — all Y membership and program centers offer a smoke-free environment
- Any other conduct of an inappropriate, threatening or offensive nature
- Refusing to adhere to staff requests
- Photography is prohibited within the Y, including the use of camera phones
- Disregard of safety, rules and regulations is prohibited
- Deliberate abuse or misuse of YMCA property or the property of others
Members and guests are encouraged to be responsible for their own personal comfort and safety. Please report any unacceptable behavior to a Y staff person immediately. Members and guests are asked to limit cell phone usage as not to disrupt others.
Members and guests are asked to play personal music with earphones/earbuds.
The appropriate Y staff member will investigate all reported incidents. Suspension or termination of membership privileges may result from a violation of the Code of Conduct.
In accordance with Pennsylvania state law, mothers are welcome to breast-feed at the YMCA.
In compliance with the American Disabilities Act, the YMCA of Greater Erie welcomes service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of the facility where the public is normally allowed to go. Please see Y staff upon entrance to the facility.
The YMCA of Greater Erie utilizes video surveillance technology throughout Y property.
Our expectations are that parents are responsible for their children at all times. We need your support in ensuring children, youth and teens will:
- Accept directions from Y staff
- Show courtesy and respect for others while at the Y
- Not use offensive/hurtful language anywhere within the Y
- Take care of facility and equipment
Please remember that children under the age of 13 must be accompanied at the facility by a parent or adult age 18+. Children under 6 must remain with a parent or guardian at all times unless registered in a program or class. Youth ages 11 and up, that have successfully completed the Youth Fitness Course, are permitted full use of the Wellness Center and Racquetball Courts. Youth 15 and up are permitted use of the running/walking track and Strength Training Room. Please be aware that these age guidelines are generalities and a YMCA location may have slightly different guidelines.
A number of programs for youth and adults are available to our members. Please check gym schedule for open gym times. Members may sign-out a basketball while at the Y and will be asked for ID as deposit.
- No dunking or hanging from hoops
- No spitting
- Proper, nonmarking shoes and attire are required
- No vulgar and/or profane language
Children ages 5 and under must be directly supervised by an adult in the water and within arms reach.
A supervising adult is considered to be a person age 18+. One adult supervising two children is recommended for children under 5. Lifeguards reserve the right to limit ratio based on circumstances. Swimmers under the age of 18 must complete and pass a deepwater test to use the deep end of the
small pool or the large pool. Children ages 8 and under must have an adult in the pool area.
- Jump into deep water without holding onto the wall
- Swim 25 yards with your head above the water
- Float on your back for 30 seconds
- Tread water for one minute
- Get out of pool unassisted and jump into deep water
Swimmers should swim on the right side of their respective lane during busy times. Please refer to the current pool schedule for lap swimming times.
Aquatic programs are listed in our program guide and have priority use of the pools.
- Bathing suits are required, e.g., swim trunks for men and boys and one-piece or two-piece bathing suits for women and girls
- Requests for alternative wear due to religious and/or cultural reasons should be addressed directly with the Aquatics Director
- Cotton t-shirts should not be worn in the pool. Tight-fitting swim shirts are permitted
- Cutoffs are not permitted to be worn in pools
- Children who are not yet toilet trained must wear swim diapers and a bathing suit. Cloth or disposable diapers cannot be worn in the pools
YMCA equipment is limited to class or therapy use. Toys and light balls are permitted at low-attendance times. Kick boards and pull buoys are provided only to lap swimmers. Children using Coast Guard-approved flotation devices must be within arm’s reach of an adult. Life jackets are available for use with adult supervision.
From low-impact exercise and chair classes to stretching and strength training to cycling and yoga, you’ll find a group class that’s fun, supportive and keeps moving. Hundreds of free classes weekly for members. So break a sweat, chat with a friend, relax your mind, challenge your body, or reconnect and recharge!
- Members ages 13+ may participate in all classes, unless the class is specified for youth
- Equipment should be returned to its proper storage place to ensure safety and cleanliness of the room. Weight-bearing exercises should not be performed against the mirrors for safety reasons.
- It is highly recommended that you see a physician before beginning an exercise program, especially if you have any pre-existing medical conditions.
- Proper workout attire and closed-toed athletic shoes must be worn at all times
- No sandals, swimsuits or clothing that may be inappropriate in a family environment
Locker rooms are available for your convenience. Coat racks and lockers are also located in the Wellness Centers.
Day Use Only
- We provide complimentary lockers for day use only
- We advise all members to place a lock on the locker they are using
- Locks left on overnight will be cut off and the contents will be kept for at least one week
- We are not responsible for the replacement of cut locks
- The use of cell phones in locker rooms is prohibited
Family Locker Rooms/ Children in Locker Rooms
- Family locker rooms are available. Children over the age of 6 are not permitted to use the locker room of the opposite gender. These locker rooms are for the comfort of your child and fellow members.
The YMCA of Greater Erie is an inclusive organization open to all. We welcome all people regardless of ability, age, background, ethnicity/race, faith, gender, self-reported gender identity and/or expression or sexual orientation. In keeping with our commitment to diversity and inclusion, and to ensure everyone feels welcome at the Y, we give transgender individuals the opportunity to choose the locker room they are most comfortable with. The policy of the YMCA of Greater Erie is to allow each individual to self-identify their gender. Alternative facilities are available for all members desiring more privacy. We do ask if preoperation, transgender individuals use a bathroom stall or enclosed shower to change.