A Y membership gives you so much more than just a place to work out!
Benefits of belonging to the YMCA of Greater Erie include:
- Membership privileges to all YMCA of Greater Erie Branches and YMCA Camp Sherwin (Metro)
- Volunteer and philanthropic opportunities.
- Free health and wellness programs such as the Y’s Wellness Coach program and nutrition and wellness seminars.
- Hundreds of group exercise classes offered weekly including Insanity®, P90X®, Les Mills®, PiYo®, ZUMBA®, cycle, yoga, Pilates, water fitness and more.
- Specialty fitness classes and services like Obstacle & Interval Training, Prenatal Yoga and Personal Training
- Free drop-in Childwatch to ensure your child is in a safe and fun environment while you use the Y.
- Member discount on programs that require a fee including Early Care, School-Age Enrichment and Summer Camp
Nationwide Membership – Flexibility to use other Y facilities throughout the US at no additional cost (must use Erie Y at least 49% of your visits)
At the Y, you’re not just a member of a facility; you’re part of a community. We are open to everyone and embrace diversity and our programs reflect the unique needs of the community. We are constantly updating our facilities and adding to our program offerings to fit the needs of you and your family and those in the community.
We invite you to stop in – whether new to the Y and considering joining our community – or, you haven’t been a member in awhile. Fill out this form and our membership staff will be in touch to schedule a time for a personal visit.
We understand that military families are under enormous strain. As a member of the Y, you and your family can spend quality time together and enjoy fun activities in a warm, supportive environment. It’s also a place to meet other military families who can relate to your unique situation.
Who is eligible for Military membership?
Title 10 personnel are eligible for a Y membership, including:
- Family members of deployed National Guard and Reservists
- Active Duty Independent Duty personnel and their families
- Relocated spouse/dependent children of deployed Active Duty personnel
Note: The Relocated Spouse category supports families/spouse who relocate away from an installation/duty station while the active duty service member is deployed. All of the following criteria must be met:
- The service member is on active duty.
- The service member is DEPLOYED for a minimum of six months (on deployment orders—NOT unaccompanied orders, NOT geographic bachelors).
- The spouse has relocated away from the military installation where the service member is assigned (most often, back home near family).
- Wounded service members assigned to a Community Based Warrior in Transition Unit (CBWTU)
What do I need to do?
- Bring your Military ID and any other required documentation (usually, your Deployment Orders or Military Service Headquarters approval letter) to the Y for verification. Please do not leave copies of these documents at the YMCA.
Many health plans are offering a “fitness center” benefit as part of their offerings. And, while we know the Y is much more than a gym or fitness center, we’re participating in a handful of these offers to increase access and affordability of Y memberships. The YMCA of Greater Erie currently participates in SilverSneakers Fitness Program, Silver & Fit, and Aetna Better Health. For more information contact your insurance provider or the Y’s Membership Desk.
Adult and family memberships receive three FREE guest passes per year. The active member must accompany the guest at the time of their visit. All guests must present a valid driver’s license for photocopying and will be asked to fill out a guest pass card. Guests must comply with the Code of Conduct of the Y during their visit. Guests must be over age 18. At Glenwood, Guest passes are available for purchase at the Y, before 2:30 p.m. M-F and after 2:30 p.m. Saturday and Sundays.
Annual Membership Renewals
A renewal notice will be mailed to you approximately one month prior to your renewal date. Note that memberships paid for by monthly bank draft will not require a renewal notice and are continuous until cancellation.
Members who pay their monthly membership fee through a monthly automatic withdrawal need to cancel their membership by the 20th of the month in order to stop the draft that occurs on the first of the month. To cancel a membership, members must do so in person by filling out a cancellation form at the Membership Desk.
Upon joining the Y, Membership Staff will take your digital photograph and you will be given a membership tag. Your tag is valid at all Erie Y branches if you are a Metro member. Should you lose your tag, there is a $5/tag replacement fee.
Holds will be granted for medical and seasonal reasons only. Your membership can be put on hold by bringing in a note from your doctor. Holds must be requested prior to the absence and before the 20th of the month in order to stop the automatic withdrawal for the next month. Holds are limited to 90 consecutive days.
For checks or automatic drafts returned, members will be assessed a $25 fee. Please ensure that all your personal information is current in our system, this includes current bank account information and expiration dates if applicable on your membership.
The Y does not guarantee the security of personal belongings. Therefore we ask that you leave valuables at home. If you feel you must bring valuables, secure banks of lockers are available. Locks are encouraged to be used in the locker rooms but may not be left on lockers overnight. The Y is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Safety & Protection
The YMCA of Greater Erie conducts regular sex offender screenings on all members. If a sex offender match occurs, the YMCA reserves the right to cancel membership, end program participation and remove visitation access.
The YMCA of Greater Erie is an inclusive organization open to all. We welcome all people regardless of ability, age, background, ethnicity/race, faith, gender, self-reported gender identity and/or expression or sexual orientation. In keeping with our commitment to diversity and inclusion, and to ensure everyone feels welcome at the Y, we give transgender individuals the opportunity to choose the locker room they are most comfortable with. The policy of the YMCA of Greater Erie is to allow each individual to self-identify their gender. Alternative facilities are available for all members desiring more privacy. We do ask if preoperation, transgender individuals use a bathroom stall or enclosed shower to change.
In accordance with Pennsylvania state law, mothers are welcome to breastfeed at the YMCA.